Parents’ Evaluation of Developmental Status, or PEDS, is an evidence based screening tool for children 0 to 8 years, that elicits and addresses parents' concerns about a chid's development, behavior and mental health. PEDS is a simple, 10-item questionnaire that is completed by the parent.
PEDS saves time, promotes family collaboration and willingness to return for future visits. It is published in many languages and includes abundant information to support helping parents learn about child-rearing.
PEDS is a validated, accurate screen eliciting parents’ concerns, in their own words, about their child’s development and behavior. It takes about 5 minutes for parents to complete, and 1- 2 for clinician to score.
- Reveals whether to refer, give advice, provide watchful waiting, screen further or reassure.
- Reduces “oh by the way” concerns, increases attendance at well-visits.
- Can be used with children of any age from birth until 8 years of age.
- Includes a Brief Guide to Administration, a Response Form, a longitudinal Score/Interpretation Form, and an optional Manual for case examples, how to explain results to families, parent education handouts, etc.
What do I need to order?
First Timers: Order #705-PEDS Complete Set which includes:
PEDS Brief Administration and Scoring Guide provides clear step-by-step instructions on administering PEDS. This free downloadable booklet also includes detailed information about the use of the various PEDS forms, case study examples and statistical data related to the detection of developmental concerns.
Note: It is not possible to correctly administer PEDS without referring frequently to the Brief Administration and Scoring Guide. Make sure you have a copy available whenever you administer PEDS.
PEDS Response Form is a 10-item questionnaire completed by the parents as the first step in the PEDS assessment. Parents may complete this questionnaire at home, in the waiting room or in consultation with their practitioner. A Response For order consists of 1 pad of 50 PEDS Response Forms, and 1 pad of 50 Score/Interpretation Forms.
- PEDS Score Form is completed by the practitioner. The PEDS Score Form identifies those concerns that predict problems when raised at a particular time in a child’s development. The practitioner is required to score the predictive or non-predictive concerns in the appropriate column.
- PEDS Interpretation Form is also completed by the practitioner. The information from the PEDS Score Form is interpreted using this form. The practitioner is directed to follow the appropriate pathway, which can include the following options – to refer, screen further, watch carefully, counsel parents, or reassure. There is space to record and track these decisions.
This is enough material to screen 50 children. It is a good idea to also order #500 the manual, “Collaborating with Parents”. See the order form for information on foreign language translations and electronic applications.
Reorders-Small Clinics: Each clinician using PEDS should have a #300-Brief Guide and each clinic should have a copy of #500-“Collaborating with Parents.” Reorder equal amounts of #700-PEDS Response Forms (pads of 50) and #720-PEDS Score/Interpretation Forms (pads of 50). (See order form for Spanish or Vietnemese versions of PEDS forms.)
Re-orders-Large Clinics: You’ll probably want to request a #740-Discounted Bulk Order (a substantial discount from individual pads) consisting of
- 20 Brief Guides,
- 20 pads of 50 Response Forms and
- 20 pads of 50 Score/Interpretation Forms.
Re-orders-HMOs, Clinic Network: If you need 50 or more bulk orders (screens for 50,000 children or more during a year or so) and are willing to have them sent to a single address, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. We have a discount schedule that can save you 30% to 50%.